-
March 17th, 2004, 03:51 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I have a 600A 347/600V service that has about 100A load on it, only thing is I need 350A capacity at the other end of the building. I do not have room to install a 400A fusable switch in the service room.
I would like to install a 24x24 box with large splitter pads in it ahead of the main service splitter to effectively tap off another feeder from this service. Since there is no room for a switch I see nothing wrong with this direct tap if the all the equipment involved is rated for the entire 600A.
The main service switch and fuses would protect the sub feed equipment.
I would install a run of three 1C 750kcmil acwu to the other end of the building to give me my 600A over there. I do not need a neutral there so I will not run one.
I would install a splitter and two 200A fusable disconnects at that location to pick up my loads. The cost of the extra wiring is less than installing a new switch, and I get to bring extra capacity to the other end of the building.
Does anyone see any reason why I cannot do this?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 16, 2004 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Chris D ]</font>
-
March 17th, 2004, 03:56 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Could you double lug the main switch and avoid installing a new splitter?
-
March 17th, 2004, 01:37 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
Sounds OK to me.
As you are probably aware, you will need to install the single conductor ACWU cables so that sheath currents are prevented. 4-008 and Appendix B.
Also, installation methods that prevent induction heating of the box metal will be required.
12-106(5)
12-3024(7)(8)
Ed
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks